The oldest continually meeting earth-centered group in Virginia
2024 Planning & Rituals
When are the Rituals?
The eight annual Rituals will be held on Fridays at 7:00 p.m. in the UUFP sanctuary. If you are interested in helping with planning a ritual, you are welcome to join us at the Friday planning sessions that occur two weeks before each scheduled Ritual. (See dates in Ritual/Planning chart.)
Who is Welcome?
Anyone with an open mind and an open heart and their loved ones. Yes, children are welcome, and childcare can be made available to those who need it. Please let us know at least a week in advance.
What Should I Bring?
Feel free to bring a dish of your choosing to the potluck held after the ritual. To help people avoid potential allergens, please include a label (some available at UUFP) with ingredients.
Our Rituals include:
- Before the Ritual, gathering time begins at 7:00 p.m. in the UUFP common area (of the Sanctuary building). We sit in a Circle; each person introduces themselves, sometimes sharing feelings or impressions of the season or holiday. The Planners share info on the Ritual to come. There is often a brief meditation. Then we rise and walk to the Ritual space.
- Within the Ritual space, we walk in a line three times around the space to cast the circle. We call to each of the four directions for protection, wisdom and aid. At this point, the leaders begin the ritual. New rituals are created for each gathering.
- The Rituals usually end with a libation of non-alcoholic drink and a simple snack, usually fruit or baked goods. As we share this, we often exchange ideas, inspirations, or impressions received during Ritual time.
- After libation, we all rise, say Farewell to any entities we have invited in, as well as to each quarter. Then the circle is closed with a poem, reading, dancing and/or song.
- Time is provided for the Potluck Feast, social time and tidying up. We generally finish around 10:00 p.m.